BUILDING OUR COMMUNITY
URBAN DEVELOPMENT INSTITUTE OKANAGAN
The core purpose of the Building Our Community Urban Development Institute Okanagan Sign program is to showcase the positive impact that Urban Development Institute Okanagan member developments are projected to have or have already had on the economy and the community at large in a way that is transparent and verifiable by an independent, outside, third party appraiser.
This sign program is intended to help elevate the public’s perception and level of trust of the development community and re-frame the industry as community builders working in partnership with the community for the greater public good. This will also provide a benefit to Urban Development Institute Okanagan members by providing them with the opportunity to showcase the positive impact of their developments.
WHAT IT IS:
Simply put, this sign program consists of Urban Development Institute Okanagan member developers paying the Urban Development Institute Okanagan Office for the ability to obtain and place a sign on their development that showcases three key economic or community benefits that the particular development brings to the community. Along with the three economic or community benefits that the developer chooses to feature, this sign will also feature the name of the program, which is Building Our Community, along with the Urban Development Institute Okanagan logo, the name of the third party appraiser/verifier and contact details for further information about the development.
HOW IT WORKS:
The Building Our Community Urban Development Institute Okanagan Sign program is open to any interested Urban Development Institute Okanagan members. Members can enlist any number of developments into the program that they would like at any point along the development process that they would like.
To participate in the program, developers must adhere to certain rules and restrictions:
- The developer must obtain a registration form for enrollment into the program and complete the registration form as well as all of the other necessary steps.
- There must be projected or actual economic or community benefits associated with the development that can be verified by an independent, third party appraiser.
- To maintain some consistency across the program, the developer must select three to five economic, community or environmental benefits associated with the particular development to be showcased. These benefits must be selected from the following list of suitable benefits of development to select from, which are:
- Construction costs
- Infrastructure contribution
- Development Cost Charges (DCC) Contribution
- Number of jobs created
- Number of long-term jobs created
- Economic impact
- Environmental benefits
- Community benefits
- Historic contribution to date
- The developer must enlist an independent, third party appraiser/verifier/CA firm that is a member of the Urban Development Institute – Okanagan Chapter, to provide the Urban Development Institute Okanagan office with the verified numbers associated with the economic or community benefits that the developer has chosen to showcase. The developer must request that the third party appraiser/verifier/CA firm submit this information to the Urban Development Institute Okangan office along with a letter verifying the accuracy of the information provided and that the Terms of Reference for the program have been adhered to.
- The developer must agree that Urban Development Institute Okanagan maintains ownership of the sign and reserves the right to remove the sign at any time for any reason.
- In order to foster and maintain a high level of credibility and trust for the Building Our Community Urban Development Institute Okanagan Sign Program, the developer must agree to maintain the accuracy of the sign for the duration of enrollment in the program. Developers must agree to update their sign within a two week timeframe if there are any changes to the benefits of development depicted on the sign. Failure to do so could result in Urban Development Institute Okanagan exerting its right to have the sign removed.
WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE:
The signs are printed on one side and are each 4’ x 8’ in size. They are made out of a material called striker that has a honeycomb interior to give it strength (striker is similar to alupanel in size, shape and scope but is a lighter material).
Below is an example that gives a good idea of what the signs look like:
HOW MUCH IT COSTS:
The initial cost for the first sign on a newly enrolled development is $400.00. This fee covers the cost to create the sign and any other administrative expenses related to the ongoing operation of the program. If the developer chooses to have the sign installed, there is an additional fee (approx. $90 + GST for the installation).
The developer can also choose to have a second sign on their property that displays three additional economic, community or environmental benefits of the project. These additional benefits must still be selected from the list of suitable benefits to showcase. The cost of a second sign is $300.00.
If for any reason the developer needs to replace an existing sign, the cost is $225.00.
HOW TO PARTICIPATE:
To enroll in the program, simply complete the form (form included below) and submit to the Urban Development Institute Okanagan office. If you have any questions or would like more information, please contact Jennifer Dixon, Executive Director, Urban Development Institute Okanagan at 778-478-9649 or email: [email protected]